Wednesday 25 January 2012

Kili Diary - Day Six

Another restless night for me.  And like clock work, I'm awake 30mins before the official wake up call.  I feel very rough.  I walk around the camp and take some photos of the sun rise.  I feel like I've been hit by a train and everything is an effort.
I'm pleased to hear that the two who were unable to join us yesterday have improved and are well enough to journey with us to Kibo Camp.  After another big breakfast is served, but I'm not feeling right and only manage a small portion.  After we set off I feel some stomach cramps and I have a feeling its now my turn to be unwell. But with 5 hours until we reach Kibo Camp my constitution is going to be tested.
The journey from Mawenzi Peak to Kibo camp is relatively simple.  There is a small gentle ridge to scale and on the other side, an Alpine desert.  Once over the ridge we can see our destination.  It doesn't look far away, about 30mins away at maximum.  However the deception has already been briefed out to us and we are prepared for a 5 hour trek through the desert.
Its mostly flat without any shade or vegetation.  And Its given me a whole new appreciation for stories and films about those stranded in deserts.
About half way across the desert we are presented with the remains of a fatal air crash.  In a baron landscape it is an unusual sight to behold, and we stop for a few minutes to examine the wreckage.   
In the last hour of trekking, my constitution starts to struggle.  I struggled to breath normally and for the first time I stop while walking to take a few seconds rest.  However, I managed to stick with the group.  We registered at Kibo camp and once the paperwork is sorted I urgently make my way to the toilet tent.  My constitution has done me proud but my fears are confirmed.  Its now I start on the imodium tablets.
Lunch was served once we had dumped our rucksacks in our tents but once again I had no appetite. I stuck to a few pieces of dry foods just to get something in me.  Its now sleep time in the early afternoon.  Its necessary as at midnight we will start our ascent to reach for the summit and we will need as much rest as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment